Saving water around the home is another way to reduce the environmental impact of your lifestyle and, as with reducing energy usage, can save you plenty of money.
- Use short cycles for washing clothes: Modern washing machines have an “Eco Wash” option you should take full advantage of.
- Fix leaks: Ensuring there are no leaks in your plumbing system – including pipes, taps, toilet cisterns – helps prevent unnecessary water wastage.
- Take short showers: Hot showers are an incredible luxury, so don’t waste this by spending far too long in the shower.
- Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth: An often-forgotten habit that wastes litres of water. Turn off the tap.
- Install tap aerators on all your taps: Aerators are cheap additions to the end of taps that reduce the flow of water while improving the pressure of a tap’s stream.
- Install a low-flow shower head: Low-flow shower heads work in a similar way to tap aerators – aerating the stream of water, improving pressure and saving plenty of water and energy.
- Boil only as much water as you require: Tea and coffee drinkers can help here! Be careful with those kettles.