The food we consume has a profound effect on the global environment – as the world’s population grows, the demand for food increases and the strain on ecologies and habitats increases. The issues around food production, supply, and consumption are extremely complex, but there are some considerations that could help reduce the environmental impact of what you eat while also offering a healthy lifestyle include:
- Choose local, seasonal produce.
- If you eat meat, reduce the number of meals containing meat you eat each week.
- If you eat fish, choose sustainably-sourced species and fishing methods.
- Try and avoid fish contaminated with mercury.
- Avoid food with unnecessary packaging, as this just leads to additional, unnecessary rubbish for your bin.
- Always look for sustainable, fair-trade, environmentally-friendly food, as this helps the economy.